- 4 cups water, plus more as needed
- 4 cups milk, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups polenta
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk, water, and butter to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons of salt to the water and whisk in the polenta.
- Whisk constantly for 3 to 4 minutes to prevent lumps. Simmer for 45 minutes, partially covered and stirring every 10 minutes, until the polenta is thick, smooth, and creamy.
- Add the creme fraiche and Parmesan. Check for seasoning and adjust consistency by adding milk or water to the polenta.
- Polenta may be made up to 20 minutes ahead of time and kept covered until ready to serve.