1/4 cup water
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole milk
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Scotch Whiskey
1/2 cup English toffee bits
- Us a a heavy medium-sized saucepan to stir 1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar. Heat on low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium high and boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush to remove sugar crystals.
- Remove from heat. Slowly add cream. Stir until smooth. Set aside caramel sauce.
- Mix cornstarch, brown sugar and salt in a medium-sized heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk. Stir over medium-low heat until mixture thickens and boils, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in caramel sauce.
- Whisk egg yolks in large bowl. Gradually whisk 1 cup warm caramel mixture into yolks. Gradually whisk yolk mixture into the caramel mixture in saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Gradually whisk in pieces of butter, Scotch, and vanilla.
- Divide pudding among 8 individual serving dishes. Chill until cold, at least 6 hours. Top puddings with whipped cream and toffee bits.