- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 pound potatoes
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1+ cup olive oil
- Toppings: applesauce, sour cream, cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Fill large bowl with 1-2 gallons cold water and the lemon juice.
- Coarsely grate potatoes with the peal on, transferring to the bowl of cold water as grated. Soak potatoes 1 to 2 minutes after last batch is added to water. The water keeps the potatoes from turning brown. Drain the potatoes.
- Blend 1/2 of the potatoes in a blender.
- Transfer all the potato (grated and blended) to a bowl and stir in egg, matzo meal and salt.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches spoon 2-3 tablespoons of potato mixture per latke into skillet. Reduce heat to moderate and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes. Turn latkes over and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt. Add more oil to skillet as needed.
- Keep latkes warm on a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan in oven.
- Serve with choice of toppings
·Latkes may be made ahead. Store up to one day in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer. Reheat on a rack set over a baking sheet in a 350°F oven, about 5-10 minutes.