Brazilian Cream of Chayote Squash with Scallops
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 16 ounces’ bay scallops
- 3 chayote squash, peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons scallion, diced fine
- 2 ounces’ bacon, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Seasoning to taste
- ¼ cup créme fraise
- Add the oil to a frying pan and heat, once hot fry the bacon until it becomes crisp, this will take about 4 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and put in the scallops and cook, flipping them over for 2 minutes.
- Take them out of the pan and season, put to one side.
- Now take pot and dissolve the butter, again once hot drop in the garlic for 40 seconds.
- Mix in the squash with the broth and boil.
- Place a lid on and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take off the heat and rest on the side.
- When it is cool add to a blender and pulse until creamy and smooth.
- Transfer back into the pot and heat, correct the seasoning and add the créme fraise.
- When hot, ladle into the bowls and place the scallops on top.
- Finish with a sprinkling of scallions.