- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sweet red paprika
- 1 cup cachaca
- 4 pounds’ oxtail sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large manioc root, peeled and diced or potatoes can be used
- Clean the oxtail using warm water.
- Add the meat to a pot or Dutch oven and place enough water in to cover it.
- Add the cachaca and lime juice and boil, once boiling turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take out the oxtail, wash with hot water and place on one side.
- Using another pan, add the oil and heat, fry the onions with the garlic for 3-6 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and put in the oxtail, bay leaves and dust with the paprika.
- Now add the stock from the Dutch oven to cover the meat halfway only.
- Turn down the heat and place a lid on, cook for 1 ½ hours.
- While cooking, add a little more stock so it does not dry out.
- Next put in the vegetables and cook for a further ½ hour.
- Once the meat becomes tender, turn off the heat and rest for 2 minutes.
- Taste and correct the seasoning, serve with rice or as you desire.