Chips with Mexican Chocolate Mole Sauce and Cotija Cheese
- 1 10-ounce bag tortilla chips (unflavored)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 ounces Mexican chocolate, such as Ibarra
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin, ground
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons cotija cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, lightly toasted (optional)
- 1 green onion, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium saucepan, add all the ingredients except the last three.
- Whisk ingredients while cooking over medium heat. Chocolate should be completely melted and flavors blend together, about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the chips on a cookie sheet, and warm in the oven for 5 minutes.
- When sauce thickens, turn off heat and remove from the stove.
- Remove chips from the oven and let cool slightly. Place on a serving platter and spoon mole sauce over the chips.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds, green onions and cotija cheese over the top.