Chocolate Pudding & Cookie Trifle
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounce bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cookies or brownies,. Any things goes such as Thin Mints, Oreos, shortbread, biscotti, Samoas
- To make the pudding, combine the milk and 1-3/4 cups of the heavy cream along with the granulated sugar. Bring to a simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- Sift the cocoa powder and cornstarch into a medium bowl Whisk in the eggs and the remaining 1/4 cup of heavy cream to form a smooth paste. Gradually whisk 1 cup of the hot milk into the cornstarch mixture. Scrape the mixture into the saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until the pudding is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 30 minutes.
- Add the chopped chocolate in a medium metal bowl and set a fine sieve over it. Strain the pudding over the chocolate and let stand for 3 minutes. Whisk until smooth, then whisk in the butter and salt. Press a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the heavy cream with the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and salt until firm, about 5 minutes.
- In a 3-quart trifle bowl, make 4 layers each of the pudding, whipped cream and crushed cookies. Serve.