Coconut Beef Curry
- ½ cup long-grain rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 12 ounces filet mignon
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, divided
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, divided
- 1 13.5-ounce can lite coconut milk, unsweetened (TN)
- 8 ounces broccoli, florets, diced in bite-sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1½ cup carrots, diced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 2 ounces snow peas
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 10 sprigs cilantro, leaves rough chopped
- In a saucepan, bring water, salt and rice to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low to simmer about 15 minutes, or until liquid is fully absorbed. Set aside, covered. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, slice filets against the grain into about ¼-inch thick strips. Place in a small bowl. Add half the curry. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon oil. Turn to coat. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add about 1½ tablespoons oil to coat pan. Add bell pepper and carrots to the hot pan. Season with salt and pepper; stir. Cook 3 minutes, or until carrots begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Add about 2 tablespoons water. Add mushrooms and broccoli. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Move veggies to sides of pan. Add about 1 tablespoon cooking oil to the center. Add steak to hot pan. Cook 3 minutes undisturbed, then stir to combine.
- Add coconut milk and ¾ cup water to pan. Add remaining curry powder. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer 5 minutes, or until broccoli is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, remove fibrous strings from snow peas. Stack and cut in half on a bias. Add to pan; stir. Cook 5 minutes, or until liquid has reduced by half, stirring occasionally. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pile rice to one side of each bowl. Spoon coconut beef curry next to rice. Sprinkle with cilantro. Drizzle desired amount of Sriracha sauce over top. Because it is a hot pepper sauce, you may want to start with a small amount of Sriracha before adding more.