Creamy Broccoli Soup without the Cream
- 1 tablespoon canola or other vegetable oil
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 stalks broccoli, divided
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1½ teaspoon black pepper
- Minced fresh chives, for garnish
- Optional, lemon, cut into paper-thin slices, for garnish
- Heat oil in medium pot; add celery, onions, garlic and salt. Cook covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Cut broccoli into florets. Peel and chop stems. Reserve 1 cup broccoli florets.
- Bring to boil stock and the remaining broccoli to the pot. Once boiling, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add oatmeal to pot; simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Off heat, stir in lemon juice, dill and pepper.
- Puree the soup in a blender, in batches, until smooth.
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add reserved broccoli florets and cook, covered, until they are bright green and crisp tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the florets and their cooking water into the soup. Garnish with chives and lemon slices.