Date Nut Bread
- 8 ounces dried, pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Grease 6-7 empty soup cans with the tops removed.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the dates, butter and sugar. Add 2 cups boiling water and let cool.
- When cooled, add two eggs beating after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Mix with wet ingredients.
- Add vanilla and mix in the nuts.
- Fill each soup can ½ full with the batter.
- Place cans on to a baking sheet and bake 1 hour. Let cool and remove bread from cans. May be frozen.
- Cut into ½ to 1” slices to serve. Spread slices with cream cheese if desired.