1 1/2 lbs. stewing beef, cut into 3/4 inch cubes 5 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup flour
3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp ground fennel seed
4 tbsp olive oil
2 stalks celery, diced
5 shallots, peeled
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 tbsp grated orange zest
12-15 dry cured black olives, pitted
2 sprigs rosemary
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 large portobello mushrooms, chopped into 1/2 inch slices
1 bay leaf
1 bottle red wine
4 1/2 cups of veal or beef stock
- Cook bacon pieces, and dispose of grease. Set aside.
- Simmer wine, 3 1/2 cups of stock, bay leaf and rosemary in sauce pan until reduced by 1/4. Leave in sauce pan until needed.
- Mix flour, black pepper, salt and ground fennel seed in a mixing bowl. Toss beef cubes in seasoned flour until completely coated. Remove from bowl and pat off excess flour.
- Brown the floured meat in olive oil on high in a large casserole dish in small batches. Remove browned beef from pan and set aside.
- Lower the heat under the casserole dish, and add carrots, celery, garlic and whole shallots (if needed, add more olive oil). Cook on medium heat until vegetables are browned. Add cooked bacon.
- Turn heat to high, and add the browned beef, stirring well. When pan is hot, sprinkle with remains of sea- soned flour and stir.
- Pour in reduced wine mixture from sauce pan, and bring to a boil. Stir in olives, orange zest, mushroom slices, and the remaining 1 cup of stock.
- Cover, and heat in oven for 3 hours at 250 degrees. Remove, taste, and adjust seasoning.