Deep Fried Spanish “Suspiro de Monja” Sweets
- 14 ounces of sugar
- Lemon zest
- 7 ounces of butter
- 2¼ cups of flour
- 4-6 cups olive oil to cook
- 5 eggs, whisked
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 2⅛ cups water
- Heat the water in a saucepan, once hot drop in the butter with the lemon zest and sugar, when it boils take out the lemon zest.
- Slowly add in the flour, mixing all the time, when all the flour is in cook for 15 minutes.
- Take off the stove and now add the eggs one at a time beating it as you go.
- Take mix and roll out, slice it into squares about the same size as your finger.
- Next heat oil in a saucepan to 350 °F and fry until they are golden and begin to float.
- Take out and place on kitchen paper to drain.
- Dish up with a dusting of icing sugar, powdered sugar. Or provide bowls of whipped cream, chocolate sauce, jam