Roasted Garlic Aioli:
- 1 head roasted garlic, mashed to a paste
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Pickled red onions:
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dry chick peas
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped
- ½ bunch curly parsley
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons oat flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 pita breads (sliced in half) or 4 burger buns
- thinly sliced cucumbers
Roasted garlic aioli:
- Whisk together all the aioli ingredients into a mixing bowl. Cover and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the dry beans. Fill with enough water to completely cover the beans. Allow beans to soak overnight, about 12 hours. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, add garlic, onion, parsley, and cilantro. Pulse 4 to 5 times. Add chick peas and the remaining ingredients. Blend until finely ground and the mixture holds together.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After the mixture has chilled, divide it into 4 portions and create patties.
- Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and chill for another 30 minutes.
- Fill a skillet with 2 inches of oil, once the oil is hot, carefully add 1 to 2 patties at a time and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Drain onto a paper towel.
- Season with salt and pepper and repeat until all patties have been fried.
Qickled red onion
- Whisk to dissolve sugar and salt in the vinegar. Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover and set aside.
- Allow red onions to ‘pickle’ for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Toast pita. Spread the aioli onto each patty and insert into the pita pocket.
- Top patty with sliced cucumbers and pickled red onions.