Feijoada: Brazilian Black Bean & Meat Stew
- ½ cup sliced streaky bacon
- 3 onions, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dried black beans, soak overnight
- 3 chorizo sausages
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1-pound pork rib
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1-pound pork shoulder, diced small
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Steamed rice, chopped coriander orange wedges and hot pepper sauce for serving.
- Add a large pan to the stove and heat, first cook the bacon until golden and crisp, then take out.
- Keeping the oil in the pan seal the sausages, pork ribs and the shoulder, one at a time and in batches.
- When you take them out add seasoning.
- Keep all the meat on the side and now fry the garlic, onion and chili, adding extra oil if required, cook for 7 minutes.
- Return the meat with the wine vinegar, beans and bay leaves.
- Pour in water just to cover the ingredients and boil.
- Once it boils turn down the heat to a simmer and place the lid on.
- Simmer for 120 minutes or until the contents are soft and tender.
- If you find the liquid is too much remove the lid roughly 60 minutes before it is completed to reduce it.
- You can if wish cook in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes to save time.
- Dish up with coriander, orange, hot sauce and steamed rice.