Fried Smashed Potatoes with Lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 pounds baby potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 lemons, zested
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 basil leaves, chiffonade cut
- In a large stockpot, add the potatoes with enough cold water to cover by a few inches. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Using a colander, drain the potatoes and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- On a plate or cutting board, uses the palm of your hand to press the potatoes until lightly smashed.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat cook the garlic until fragrant, about 1 minutes, then discard the garlic. In batches, add the potatoes and cook, without stirring, until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes over and cook, drizzling with oil, if needed, until golden brown on the other side for another 5 to 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, using a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with Parmesan and basil to serve.