A galette is the French name for various round free-form pastries and cakes. It can be sweet or savory, and tailored to whatever ingredients you have to hand. This version is like a French version of a pizza, without the tomato purée or dough base.
Feel free to vary the ingredients to taste – Mozzarella, Emmental or strong Cheddar cheese, fried mushrooms, olives, cooked bacon or ham, etc. Just ensure the ingredients are dry, not wet like cooked spinach for example, or the pastry will be soggy and will not rise.
- 5 ounces/100g puff pastry
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies, deseeded
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 ounces/150g fine green asparagus, blanched
- 2 teaspoons/10ml fresh chopped herbs
- 5 ounces/100g goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°
- Roll out pastry thinly.
- Cut out 4x15cm circles. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Fry the onion, chillies and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Pile the onion mixture onto the pastry leaving a 5mm border.
- Top with chopped asparagus and got cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.