Welcome to eating your hot cocoa baked. This is a very simple dish to prepare, yet it makes for a truly decadent chocolate dessert and it’s easy to double or triple if you need to for a larger gathering.
In my experience the kids and adults alike in your family will find it equally irresistible. You can pair the dessert with a good port or sauterne for the big people.
- 9 ounces good bittersweet chocolate, chopped small
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1-2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler.
- Put sugar and eggs in a bowl, warm them slightly over warm water until warm to the touch but not cooked.
- Whip sugar and eggs with a whisk until very light and frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully fold eggs into the chocolate mixture, being careful not to over mix and cause eggs to deflate.
- Pour into wide coffee mugs. Bake in a water bath at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from water bath and top with marshmallows. Bake 5 more minutes until golden – watch carefully.
Note: You may make this ahead through step 5, just cool them and refrigerate up to a day or two. When ready to serve, remove and reheat in oven for 10-15 minutes in a pre-heated water bath.