- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 6 celery stalks, diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded & diced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 green peppers, seeded, washed and diced
- ½ bacon grease
- ¾ cup flower
- 2 small zucchinis, diced
- 2 avocados, peeled, and sliced
- 1 cup whole corn
- 1 bag blue corn tortilla chips
- In a large, heavy pot, add the chicken water and salt. Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer. Skim foam from off the top.
- Add bay leaves and peppercorns. Cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken and let cool. Skin and done the chicken. Cut into small chunks. Strain the broth with a sieve and put back into the pot.
- In a large skillet, turn on heat to medium. Add the bacon grease. When hot, add the flour and stir until its lightly browned. Add this roux tot the broth.
- Add to the pot the celery, tomatoes, scallions, Jalapeño, onion and bell peppers. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken, zucchini, avocadoes and corn. Cook for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Pour chowder into soup bowls and garnish with the chips.