Jamaican BBQ Sirloin Steak with Quinoa
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Jamaican barbecue sauce
- ½ red onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 orange
- 3 carrots
- 5 leaves mustard greens
- 1 tablespoon cider vinaigrette
- 2 6-ounce sirloin steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small pot, boil 1½ cups lightly salted water to a boil. Stir in quinoa. Cover and simmer 15-18 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let rest, covered, at least 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove center stems from mustard greens and reserve stems. Roughly chop leaves into bite-size pieces. Place in a large bowl. Drizzle with cider vinaigrette to taste and toss greens to full coat.
- Cut off top and bottom of orange. Lay flat and remove peel with curved downward cuts, exposing flesh. Cut orange into bite-size pieces. Add to bowl with mustard greens. Salt and pepper to taste. Toss salad.
- Cut top off carrots, clean but leave unpeeled. Grate on large holes of a box grater. Mince thyme leaves. Slice reserved mustard green stems on a bias into about ¼-inch pieces.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat about 1 ½ tablespoons cooking oil. Add red onions, ginger, and garlic to hot pan. Stir. Cook 1 minute. Add carrot, thyme, and mustard stems. Season with salt and pepper. Add ¼ cup water. Cook 5-6 minutes, or until water is cooked off, stirring frequently. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, season both sides of sirloin steaks with salt and pepper. In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Add steaks to hot pan and sear 4-5 minutes on each side, or to desired doneness. Transfer steaks to cutting board; let rest at least 3 minutes.
- Return pan used for steaks to stovetop over medium-low heat. Pour Jamaican barbecue sauce into pan. Add ¼ cup water and stir. Simmer 2-3 minutes, or until sauce slightly thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Cut steaks against the grain into 6-8 slices each. Divide quinoa between plates and fan steak over top. Pile salad and sautéed veggies next to quinoa. Spoon Jamaican barbecue sauce over steak.