- 1⅓ cup glutinous* rice flour
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup hot water
- 2½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoon katakuriko (potato) starch mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoon of water (or corn starch)
- Bamboo skewers
*Note: Joushinko or Shiratamako rice flour. If you can only find Mochiko (Mochi) rice flour, add 1 tablespoon potato or corn starch. Also, some people will divide the dough and add 1-2 drops of food coloring to create a pretty and colorful option.
- Preheat steamer.
- Put rice flour in a small bowl. Slowly pour hot water over the flour. Mix until combined.
- Knead the resulting rice dough with hands until smooth. Divide the dough into small 1″ pieces and roll into small balls.
- Steam balls on high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Cool the dumplings and put dumplings on skewers.
- For the mitarashi sauce, in a sauce pan mix sugar, water, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Pour the starch mixture into the sauce, stirring well as you are adding it.
- Bring sauce to a boil again, then turn off the heat.
- Grill dumplings over moderate heat until slightly grill-marked, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Brush mitarashi sauce over dumplings.