Lentil and Vegetable Stew
- 2 cups dry lentils, washed
- 1 large russet potato, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- All vegetables should be cut into similar sized pieces so they cook evenly – about ½” pieces.
- Wash and drain lentils.
- In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil and butter until butter melts.
- Sauce celery, onions, carrots and potatoes until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils, vegetable stock, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Once lentils are tender, add frozen peas and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Serve with dense, crusty bread