Mandarins are typically sweeter and less tart than traditional oranges. The sweetness of the oranges is well balanced against the tartness of the vinegar and heat of the hot sauce. A Riesling or Pinot Grigio will work, as would a nice Orange Muscat.
- 1 pound mixed salad greens
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin orange slices
- ½ cup slivered almonds (pecan or walnuts can be used)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup tarragon vinegar
- ¼ cup of juice drained from can of mandarin oranges
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place salad greens into a large bowl along with all other salad Ingredients.
- In a small ovenproof dish, toast almonds with butter until golden brown. Watch carefully to not overcook.
- Thoroughly blend all dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss well.