- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts with skin on
- 10 button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 shallots, quartered
- 3 sprigs thyme leaves
- 14 asparagus spears, cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup inexpensive white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large, oven-safe skillet set over high heat, heat oil. Place chicken skin-side down in the pan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until skin is crisped and golden, then flip over and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add shallots, mushrooms, asparagus, thyme, butter and chili flakes, placing these ingredients around the chicken. Lightly season vegetables with salt and pepper, and transfer the skillet to the hot oven.
- Roast for 15 to 18 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, which should be 165 degrees.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and place on stove top. Remove chicken to a platter. Turn heat on high, then add wine and lemon juice to the skillet . Cook 1-2 minutes to reduce. Turn heat off and then add butter. Drizzle the pan juices over the chicken and vegetables and serve.