- 1 ½ tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- ½ cup – ⅔ cup of freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 3 tbsp of lime juice (approximately 1 lime)
- 1 tbsp cilantro roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
Chicken and Rice
- 8 Chicken thighs, bone in skin on
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, separated
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large red peppers, sliced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1½ cups chicken broth / stock
- ¾ cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 packets of Goya Cilantro Tomato Seasoning Mix
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of roughly chopped cilantro
- Combine all ingredients of the fajita seasoning.
- Add marinade, ingredients into ziplock bag along with the chicken. Shake bag well ensuring that everything is covered in the marinade.
- Marinade for a minimum of 30 minutes up to over night
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour avocado or coconut oil into a heavy bottomed pan large enough to fit the chicken and the rice.
- Place chicken on some paper towels to absorb some of the liquid. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Place chicken into hot pan skin side down and allow to sear for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Turn over and allow the other side to sear and get golden brown.
- Remove chicken and lower heat to medium heat.
- Remove the darkened bits from the chicken and wipe pan clean with a paper towel. I like to hold the paper towel with tongs and wipe it around so that I do not burn my hands 🙂
- Add the remaining oil and red pepper and onions to the pan. Sweat them out until translucent and soft; about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the rice, tomatoes, garlic and seasoning packets, plus any remaining marinade you may have.
- Let the liquid come to a simmer and allow to simmer for 30 seconds.
- Place chicken on top of the rice, nestling it in gently. Place a lid on the pan. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for 10 more minutes to allow the chicken to brown. The rice is done when all the liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve!
- Remove, allow to rest for 10 minutes and fluff with a fork.
- Garnish with extra lemons and parsley.