When I was young and my mother and father entertained friends, this was one of their go-to appetizers. Truth be told I always snuck a few for myself and if by chance there were any leftovers they became a great little lunch or snack. I continue making these today for my own friends and I also continue to sneak a few extra on the side for myself. These freeze well so you can make them ahead and they go well with whatever libations you are serving.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (2.25 ounces) chopped olives
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- ½ coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 long baguette, sliced into round toasts
- Preheat over to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the first six Ingredients.
- Spoon a about a tablespoon onto each piece of bread.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and tops begin to brown a little.