- 5 pounds chicken back bones, neck bones, and wing tips
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 large onion, skin on, diced
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Rinse chicken in a colander. Lay flat on rimmed baking sheet and roast about 45 minutes until browned..
- Place chicken in a large stockpot. Add vegetables, peppercorns, and bay leaves. Add 4 qts. water and bring a boil, periodically skimming off gray foam. Reduce to a low simmer and simmer 1½ hour more. Strain and discard solids.