Sante Fe Drunken Shrimp
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (save shells)
- 12 ounces Mexican beer
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Jalapeños, finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice (optional)
- Shrimp shells
- ½ onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup white wine (cheap)
- 3 cups water
- In a medium saucepan, add all Fumet ingredients. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Strain the broth and let cool. Set two cups aside for use with the shrimp.
- In a medium bowl, add shrimp and beer. Let the shrimp soak for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels and crumble when cool. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon grease.
- Heat bacon grease on medium until hot. Sauté onions for 2 minutes. Drain fat.
- To the skillet, add butter, onions, garlic and Jalapeños. Sauté 1 minute.
- Add shrimp, salt and pepper. Sauté 2-3 minutes, until shrimp is just cooked.
- Add Fumet to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with the crumbled bacon