With kids around, you’re always looking for simplicity and what’s simpler in terms of cleanup than cooking your steak in a plain brown grocery bag? No need to use an expensive cut of meat either. A hearty red wine such as a Cabernet or a very jammy red Rioja is a great pair for this dish.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (homemade or store bought)
- 3 pound chateaubriand steak
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons pepper
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, sharp
- Trim excess fat from the steak.
- In a medium bowl, mix butter, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Spread seasonings all over the meat.
- Mix breadcrumbs and cheese. Press this mixture on the steak, evenly covering all sides of the steak.
- Place steak into a brown paper bag. Fold ends of bag over to seal and secure bag with either kitchen string or staples. Up to this point, the steak may be prepared several hours ahead of time and kept refrigerated until ready for cooking.
- Preheat over to 375°
- Place bag on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven for 30 minutes. Bake 15 minutes more at 425°F for medium-rare. For medium well, reduce to 375°F and cook for five more minutes.
- Remove steak from oven when ready and remove immediately from bag. Let stand five minutes before carving to allow all the meat juices to migrate back into the meat.