- 1 egg, large
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 4 tablespoons ice water, divided
- ¾ teaspoon white vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cold lard
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 3 cups halved strawberries, fresh
- 6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb, fresh or frozen (thawed, if frozen)
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- white sugar
- Whisk egg together with vinegar and ice water in a small bowl, until well blended. Mix flour with salt in a separate large size bowl; cut in the lard until crumbly. Slowly add in the egg mixture, tossing with a fork, until dough holds together. Slowly add some more of ice water, if the mixture is too dry until the mixture just comes together.
- Evenly divide the dough in half. Shape each into a disk and then wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum period of an hour or for overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix tapioca and sugar in a large bowl. Add in the strawberries and rhubarb; toss several times until evenly coated. Let stand for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Roll one half of dough to a ⅛” thick circle on a lightly floured surface; transfer to a 9” pie plate. Evenly trim the pastry with rim.
- Add in the filling & dot with the butter. Roll the leftover dough to a ⅛” thick circle. Place over the filling. Trim, seal & flute the edge. Cut slits in top. Brush milk on top of the pastry; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place the pie on a large baking sheet & bake for 20 minutes.
- Decrease the oven setting to 350 F & bake until filling is bubbly & crust is golden brown, for 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer the pie on a wire rack and let cool completely.
Oh boy ! With you all the way ! Pinned !