- Canola oil, for deep-frying
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 ounces garum sauce
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup Medjool dates, diced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Kosher salt
- Pour enough oil into a medium pot so that the oil comes 3 inches up the sides. Heat the oil to 350°F.
- While the oil is heating, mix the garlic, garum and olive oil in a medium sized bowl, set aside.
- Deep-fry half the Brussels Sprouts with the sereno chile, until the edges of the leaves of the sprouts curl and get crispy, about 3 minutes. Using a Chinese spider utensil, remove the first batch to the reserved bowl and then deep fry the second batch. When done, add these to the other sprouts, add the dates, and toss.
- Sprinkle the sprouts with sesame seeds. Add salt and pepper to taste.