This whipped method for making oatmeal produces a very creamy bowl of oats. The bananas disappear into the oatmeal. The banana becomes an emulsifier suspending the oats in a thick, creamy consistency and the whole bowl is sweeter because the banana’s sweetness permeates throughout.
- ⅓ cup old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup milk or soy milk
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ a banana, sliced
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Optional Mix-ins: Nutella, peanut butter, nuts, coconuts, fruit, trail mix, chocolate chips, etc.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook together the rolled oats, water, and milk.
- Slice a banana into very thin pieces, leaving a few bigger chunks. Once the oatmeal begins to bubble, add the bananas and chia seeds, then and stir vigorously at times to “whip” the banana into the oats.
- The oats will take about 5 from start to finish to fully absorb the liquid and reached the desired “whipped” consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Add any toppings and mix-ins you’d like.