Grilled Chicken with Spicy Peach Barbecue Sauce
- 1 4-5 pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 recipe Italian Marinade Recipe for Chicken
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 peaches chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- juice of one lime
- ⅓ cup molasses
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes
- 1 cup bourbon (cheap is ok)
- 2 cups water
- Kosher salt
- Place the chicken into a ziplock bag and pour the Italian Marinade Recipe for Chicken over it.
- Make sure all pieces are covered in marinade and allow to marinade for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and peaches. Cook for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Add ketchup and cook about 2 minutes. Add onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper. Cook one more minute
- Add bourbon to a blender then add the sauce mixture. Blend smooth and no lumps remain. Add back to the saucepan.
- Add vinegar, orange juice, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili flakes, mustard powder and water.
- Cook until reduced by half, this will take about 30 minutes. If necessary, adjust taste with molasses, vinegar or lime.
- BBQ sauce may be stored in an air tight jar in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator.
- Prepare grill for medium heat.
- Grill chicken, turning frequently until nicely brown, 15–20 minutes.
- Start basting the chicken with the BBQ sauce with a pastry brush. Be generous!
- Continue grilling, turning and basting with barbecue sauce often, until chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 165°, about 8–10 minutes longer.