Hearty Vegetable Soup
- 1 head garlic, ⅓ top cut off
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 leaks, sliced, white parts only
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium carrots, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ medium celeriac, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 small head escarole, washed, stemmed, and leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 cups fortified chicken broth
- ½ cup frozen baby lima beans, defrosted
- ½ cup frozen green beans, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Cover garlic with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes. When done, remove from oven and squeeze garlic head so cloves pop out into a bowl. Mash garlic.
- Using a Dutch oven, place tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, celeriac, leeks, fortified broth, and mashed garlic paste. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low to simmer. Simmer covered until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Using the back of a large spoon, mash some potatoes against side of pot. This will thicken the soup. Stir in escarole and beans. Cook until about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley; adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with hearty bread or crostini floated on soup, if desired.