Spicy Matza Ball Chicken Soup
- 1 head garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 red jalapeño chiles or Fresno peppers, seeded, and minced
- 3 quarts roasted chicken stock
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat
- 1 cup matzo meal
- ½ cup club soda
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut ⅓ off the top of the garlic, sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Set top back on bottom. Wrap in foil; roast 1 hour.
- Mix matzo-ball ingredients. Cover and chill a 30 minutes.
- In a large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil until its hot. Add vegetables and ½ teaspoon salt, cover, and cook until starting to soften, 10 minutes.
- Squeeze garlic from cloves into a bowl, whisk in ½ cup stock, and pour back into the pot.
- In another large soup pot, boil salted water and the reduce to a simmer. Using wet hands, loosely form matzo mixture into 1-inch balls. Add balls to the water as you go. Simmer until cooked through, 30 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, add Matzo balls to the soup.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with parsley.