The humble apple has all sorts of uses from sweet to savory. It can be cooked, raw, stewed, used as an accompaninet or bitten right into for a dose of raw goodness. addition to being a good addition to lunch boxes, apples are good ingredients found in cobblers, muffins, salads, and apple pies.
You might have heard people saying, “Easy as apple pie” many times, but do you know how to really make an apple pie? Perhaps, you have been wondering how to do that for a long time. If so, we are going to explain step by step how to make delicious apple pie like a pro and not have a nervous breakdown in the process. Yes, you can do it. It is easy!
Things to bear in mind to make the best apple pie
The Apple is the Main Thing
When making apple pie, what you need the most is apple itself. But, you need the right types of apples. If you are living in an area with apple groves, then selecting a combination of tart and sweet apples will be great. But, if you are not living anywhere near an apple grove, it is best to get Granny Smith apples for your pie. It is a good one to get started. The combination of the tartness and the sweetness of the sugar/cinnamon mixture make an amazing taste. You may also consider another combination that works great which is McIntosh and Cortland apples. However, they must be fresh
Pre-Cook without Sugar
When you have selected the right apples, do not drown the apples in sugar. Rather, cook down a portion of the apples for the filling. This is very beneficial as we shall see. Pre-cooking helps the crust not to collapse and crack while it is baking. Also, the filling is not likely to shrink as much if some of the apples are already precooked. Besides, it concentrates the natural flavors and sugar, so you do not need to add as much sugar to your filling. To get this done, just cook about half the filling mixture in an oven over medium heat. Keep stirring until the apples become tender and start to break down. Thereafter, get the apple off the heat. Now, add the remaining uncooked apple and stir the mixture. Let it cool before adding it to your crust.
Avoid Burning the Crust
Do not burn the crust when preparing your apple pie. When some people are baking an apple pie, they usually burn edges of the crust. This is a problem you should avoid. To prevent this from happening, cover the edges of the pie with tin foil. Ensure you do not scrunch it down around the sides. If this happened, the pastry edges may be under baked. It is advisable to buy edge guard from local store that will be placed over the edges of the pie to protect them from burning
Follow these steps to make the best apple pie
- Take the desired amount of flour and add butter. Rub them together with your hands until the pieces are smaller.
- After the pieces have become smaller, but still visible, add water to the mixture. You may also add any other liquid ingredients of your choice into the flour mixture. Now, stir with a fork until evenly moist. Then, knead the dough in the bowl a few times. It is likely that the mixture will still be a little crumbly at this stage.
- The next step is to turn the dough out onto a clean surface and knead again until it holds together. After this, divide the dough by half and shape it into 5-inch-wide disks. When you are done, wrap each of them in plastic and refrigerate them for at least an hour.
- Now, the next important task is the one we described earlier about making the apple filling. Cook about half the filling mixture in an oven over medium heat. Keep stirring until the apples become tender and start to break down. Thereafter, get the apple off the heat. Now, add the remaining uncooked apple and stir the mixture. Let it cool before adding it to your crust.
- Go and remove the dough from the refrigerator. Put it down on a table for about 5 minutes to warm a little. Proceed to roll one portion between sheets of wax paper into a 13-inch circle. It is best to peel off the top sheet and put the dough into a deep-dish pie pan. After peel off the remaining paper, bring the crust and scrape the filling into it. Repeat these steps with the remaining dough. Roll the dough between sheets of parchment paper into another 13-inch circle. Then, peel off the top of sheet and invert the dough onto the apple fruit.
- Lastly, trim the crust so that it overhangs evenly. Then, tuck the top crust under the bottom crust. Then, seal the two together and make a plump edge. When you have completed all these steps and bake the apple, it is ready for consumption.
These are good steps to follow to make a perfect apple pie. You can enjoy your apple throughout the year, but summer present greater opportunity to enjoy varieties of apples because they become abundance during the summer.